Carats Blog

Keep your pets safe this Christmas

Paul Loader - Sunday, December 21, 2014

 

 

 

KEEPING OUR PETS SAFE THIS CHRISTMAS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Christmas is the one time of year when we can forget about our woes and relax with our loved ones. But rather worryingly it can also be a very dangerous time of the year for our pets.

 

Many of you will be aware of some of the points raised in this blog post to keep our pets safe but maybe not all?

 

Feel free to share this post with family and friends to make sure you avoid any poorly pets this Xmas.

 

 

Whats good for the goose is not always good for the gander so to speak. Many items we will consume over Xmas can be highly poisonous to our four legged friends.

 



FOOD

 

Chocolate is poisonous to cats, dogs, rabbits and rodents
Currants
Grapes
Macadamia nuts/walnuts

Mouldy foods such as bread and cheese

Onions

Raisins
Sultanas can all cause kidney failure in dogs


So also be very careful they don`t consume our  

Xmas cakes (with the above fruit in)
Xmas puddings
Mince pies

 

Please do NOT feed your dogs cooked bones as they can cause severe damage internally through splintering and puncturing.
Raw bones do NOT splinter so if you wish to feed your pets bones then please don`t cook them.

If you are unsure then don`t feed any bones at all.

 

 

 

GENERAL HAZARDS


Christmas candles for obvious reasons
Christmas lights (please be careful if your dog likes a chew)

Tinsel, Wrapping paper etc Any small items left on the floor if consumed can cause blockages for our furry friends.

Many electrical items will need batteries these can pose a real threat if consumed.

Fireworks or loud noises in general.

Please try to ensure wherever possible that your pets have somewhere quiet they can retire too without being pestered by the visiting kids etc

 

If your pet is showing any clinical signs that all is not well vomiting, lethargy, shaking, fitting, not passing stools, diarrhoea then you should seek veterinary immediately.

 

 

 

PLANTS


Many of the plants we display at Christmas can also pose problems for our pets. Below are just some of them :-

 

Amaryllis

Christmas trees (are mildly poisonous if licked but also needles can be dangerous)

Holly

Hyacinth

Lilies

Mistletoe

 

 

 CARAT would like to wish everyone a safe and merry Christmas!!!

 

 

 

 






Registered Office: 32 Cobden Road, Worthing, West Sussex BN114BD

For general enquiries, correspondence, membership etc. please contact: Linda Manley-Bird, 32 Cobden Road, Worthing, Sussex BN11 4BD

Saving Greek Animals is the slogon of Caring for the Animals Trust, registered charity number 1091152

desktop/tablet